Glimpse of WWI Battlefields
5 Days: Lille, The Somme, Amiens, Villers Bretonneux, Ypres, Ypres Salient, Menin Gate, Fromelles
This introductory tour allows visitors to see the major areas of British and Commonwealth involvement across the Western Front. Most importantly, the tour offers flexibility to ensure that visitors from all countries will see the memorials to their country’s fallen, as well as gaining a greater understanding of the overall conduct and strategy of the war.
Day 1 – Lille
Arrive in Lille then meet your Tour Leader for an included welcome dinner. Over the following days, we will visit the major areas of British and Commonwealth involvement across the Western Front including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and India together with America. With a unique opportunity to see the memorials to each country’s fallen as well as gaining a greater understanding of the overall conduct and strategy of the war, this guided tour offers an unforgettable experience. (D)
Accommodation: Hotel Brueghel
Day 2 – Lille – The Somme – Amiens
We commence our first day by exploring the region of the Somme. Synonymous with great losses on the first day of battle, 1st July 1916, we will visit Newfoundland Memorial Park, where the original trench lines have been preserved, the Ulster Tower and Pozières. We will complete our first day at the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme before heading to Amiens for our overnight stay. After an insightful and history-fuelled day, rest easy tonight and enjoy time at your own leisure. (B)
Accommodation: Hotel le Prieure
Day 3 – Amiens – Villers-bretonneux – Ypres
We leave Amiens and travel to the Australian National War Memorial & Cemetery at Villers-Bretonneux. Later, we make time to visit the Canadian Memorial Park on Vimy Ridge before we reach Ypres. (B)
Accommodation: Kasteelhof’t Hooghe
Day 4 – Ypres – Ypres Salient – Menin Gate – Ypres
The beautiful city of Ypres was totally destroyed during the war, and sits in the epicentre of British endeavours during four long years of conflict. There is much to see around Ypres, including John McCrae’s Dressing Station at Essex Farm Cemetery, the German Cemetery at Langemarck, Vancouver Corner and the Hooge Crater trenches museum. As a fitting end to the day, you will be invited to attend the daily playing of the Last Post under the Menin Gate Memorial. (B,D)
Accommodation: Kasteelhof’t Hooghe
Day 5 – Ypres – Fromelles – Lille
After breakfast today, it’s time to prepare for a full day ahead. We spend today exploring Hill 60 and the area around Fromelles, Pheasant Wood Cemetery, VC Corner and the Australian Memorial Park. We visit the recent exhibition to commemorate the finding of 250 previously unknown set of remains in 2009 and their now marked burial place at Pheasant Wood Cemetery. Later, we end in Lille and say farewell to the group. (B)
Send This Tour To A Friend
|Departure||DBL Occ.||SGL Occ.|
|May 7, 9, 17, 25, 2020||1335||1780|
|Jun 2, 10, 18, 22, 2020||1335||1780|
|Jul 4, 12, 20, 28, 2020||1310||1670|
|Aug 5, 13, 17, 25, 2020||1310||1670|
|Sep 6, 14, 22, 2020||1335||1780|
|Sep 30, 2020.||1310||1670|
|Oct 4, 8, 2020||1310||1670|
|Nov 1, 8, 2020||1265||1550|
- 4 nights in boutique accommodation
- Experienced Back-Roads Tour Leader/Driver
- Premium mini-coach transportation
- Daily European-style breakfasts (B), 2 evening meals (D)
- Entrance included to: Ulster Tower Memorial & Visitor Centre, Canadian Memorial Park, Newfoundland Park, Memorial to the Missing, Victoria School & Adelaide Cemetery, John McCrae’s Dressing Station at Essex Farm, German Cemetery at Langemarck, Vancouver Corner, Commonwealth Cemetery, Last Post Ceremony, Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery, V.C. Corner Australian Cemetery and Memorial
- Unless otherwise specified in the listed inclusions, airfares are not included in the tour price.
- Driver/tour leader gratuity is at your discretion.
- Lunches (unless otherwise stated), social drinks, meals on free nights,’ items of a personal nature and entrance fees when not listed in the schedule of inclusions.
- Occasional optional evening theatre/festival visits and entrances not detailed in the tour inclusions.
- Incidental expenses, such as room service incurred at hotels. All expenses are to be settled prior to leaving the accommodation.
- Laundry costs and any shipping charges for the return of purchases made on tour, or for the return of property lost on tour.
- Pre and post-tour accommodation.
- Unless otherwise listed in the inclusions, transfers are not included in the tour price
We welcome hearing from you! Feel free to call or simply Email us with any questions you may have.